Sunday, February 16, 2014

Looking Forward to Not Looking Forward


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

We are constantly trying to prepare for the next season of life. When we're in high school, we're trying to get into a good college; when we're in college we're working to improve our resume so we can begin a successful career. Once we graduate we look forward to marriage, then a baby. After that we feel the need to constantly study up on the next stage of family life in an often vain attempt to feel prepared once it's here. At the same time, we grow nostalgic of newlywed life or college or even childhood.

There's nothing wrong with that, at least not inherently. I do find myself struggling to balance the extremes though- learning from the past, being faithful in the present, preparing for the future. It can be exhausting, and it makes me look forward all the more to the perfect and ultimate season we'll have in the new heaves and new earth. We'll no longer yearn for the "good ole' days" or feel the pressure of or unfulfilled longing for the next thing. We'll be right where we're supposed to be - where we were created to be - for eternity.

And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment. The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. (Revelation 21:5-7)

As my husband puts it, "Everyday will be the best day, every moment the best moment." It will always be the last day of the school, the wedding day, the birthday. We will be perfectly content and at the same time, we'll never have our fill. Desire and desire satisfied, simultaneously, in the most intense way possible, forever.

 I can't wait.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)



No comments:

Post a Comment