Tuesday, April 8, 2014

When in Rome...

...do as the Romans do. That's the old adage, right? This past weekend we did just that- but it wasn't a weekend full of art, gondola rides, or pasta. Rather it was full of nature, campus tours, and lunches in "D Hall." It was a lovely time.



I had never been to Rome, GA (which my husband and I now affectionately refer to as "Romega"), and since I'd never heard of it before our acceptance on staff, I expected a small town with not much more than Berry College and Shorter University to show for its name. Fortunately, I was very wrong. Not only does Rome have a variety of places to shop and eat, it's downtown is picturesque, and campus- well, there's really no other word than "beautiful" that would be an appropriate description.

We were also able to visit Seven Hills Fellowship (PCA) while we there, which is the church in Rome that Campus Outreach is partnered with and where we'll be members once we've moved. Again, I didn't quite know what to expect, especially coming from a background of two very large, very established congregations. I walked away from the service with a heart completely full, having been fed by His Word, encouraged by the fellowship, and called to worship God with truth-filled hymns of thanksgiving.

What I'm most excited for, however, are not the quaint shops on Broad Street or the miles and miles of gorgeous running trails. It's not the campus staff discounts or the proximity we'll be in to Atlanta. What I'm most looking forward to is engaging with and ministering to the people in Rome.

As a "staff wife," I'm in a unique position. While Weaver will have a very specific purpose, strategy, and schedule while ministering to students, I will have quite a bit of freedom when it comes to using the time, talents, and treasure the Lord has given to me. Yes, I can be involved with college girls, and I plan on doing that a large amount of the time. But I'll also be meeting families in the neighborhood, employees at the grocery store, the mailman - you get the picture. And while I pray that I am already making in impact in those relationships here in Birmingham, living in a smaller city with a husband in full-time ministry will give me a context and platform that I think will provide even more strategic opportunities to evangelize and serve.

So how can you pray for me? Pray that I would look to the affairs of my house hold, embracing my role as wife and mother as a priority (Proverbs 31:27).  Pray that I would make the best use of time, being ready in and out of season to share the good news (Colossians 4:5, 2 Timothy 4:2). Pray that I would proclaim boldly as I ought the glory of God's grace in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 6:19). Pray that bearing the fruit of the Spirit, I would be a faithful ambassador of reconciliation to everyone I meet (Galatians 5:22-23, 2 Corinthians 5:18). Pray that to the Romans I would become a Roman (1 Corinthians 9:20).

When in Rome....glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment